Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Trip to the Botanical Gardens



Day 5 of the Ultra Blog Challenge 

This weekend my son treated me to a trip to the Cambridge Botanical Gardens and bought me a year's membership so that I can visit it all the year round and see the different vegetation in all seasons.  This should motivate me  to get out and get some much needed exercise. The Botanical gardens are within walking distance of the Cambridge Train station.  They do not any parking available. They recommend using the train or the Park and Ride facilities around Cambridge. Disabled people are able to park on a road nearby which is not ideal. However, the park itself is accessible to all including wheelchair users. Electric and manual wheelchairs can be borrowed  if booked in advance.  More information on can be found on their website .

The Botanical gardens are spread over 40 acres of land which included gardens and glass houses.  It holds a plant collection of over 8000 plant species from all over the world to facilitate teaching and research. The garden was created for the University of Cambridge in 1831 by Professor John Stevens Henslow (Charles Darwin's mentor) and was opened to the public in 1846.

As this was our first visit, we decided to keep to the paths and just enjoy the day and enjoy the day. As soon as  you enter the gardens you see that it has lots of tall trees. Some of the trees in the gardens are huge, well spread out giving lovely shade on a sunny day.  If trees could talk - they could have told us stories which were over 300 years old.





The fountains pictured below were a focal point of the gardens. It had plenty of seats around it A perfect place for families meeting point.


The whole area is landscaped over the years to give the feeling of a peaceful heaven in the centre of the City




We visited some of the glasshouses and saw the most amazing plants and flowers - some of which were very familiar to me and reminded me of my times in Kenya.


We used to call this flower the Bird of paradise


And this is a papaya tree - the orange ones are riper than the green ones.


Hope you enjoyed this small taster of my visit to the Botanic gardens.

Linking up this Post with the two bloggers Snowing Indoors and You Baby Me Mummy who are running the point and shoot linky.

You Baby Me Mummy

So how was your weekend. Do share to give me ideas of what to do next weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Wow... that's one place now I can recommend to my family when I visit UK next. They always ask me where I would like to go. So this summer Cambridge here we come. The garden looks so serene and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen bird of paradise plants growing outdoors in Florida. Alas, where I live, they wouldn't last a single season - like your area, they have to be grown under glass. When visiting an area, I always try to make room for a visit to a garden or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow nature is at best, love to visit this kind of places so mind and body can relax

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a just stunning thing to do. Next weekend, think about a more urban visit for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love botanical gardens. So peaceful and serene. Your photos are so calming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments