Day 13 of the Ultra Blog Challenge
I wrote about planning a weekly menu a couple of days ago. Here is a soup recipe which is cheap and easy to make. Tip: This can be made at the weekend and frozen to eat during the week.
We had butternut squash soup yesterday with French bread and Potato cakes. The soup was very quick and easy to make and didn't need many spices to make it tasty as butternut squash has a lovely sweet nutty taste.
Ingredients for 10 servings of soup:
- 1 large butternut squash. I weighed mine and it was 1500 grams.
- 1 medium potato
- 5-6 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 heaped tbs bouillon
A lot of people are put off from cooking butternut squash as everyone seems to think that chopping it is a chore. The best way to chop a butternut squash is to keep an old newspaper under the vegetable.
2. Next cut it into quarters, Now remove the outside tough skin with a sharp knife.
4. Transfer the butternut squash to a saucepan. Peel and cut the potato into cubes and add it to the squash. Add the ginger and garlic. Add the bouillon and then add 3-4 cups of water so that most of the butternut squash are covered with water.
5. Cover the saucepan and cook on a high heat for 15 minutes, stir and allow to cook for a further 15 minutes on a medium heat or until the potatoes soften.
9. Allow the soup to simmer until the soup looks the right consistency. Serve it hot with French bread. Any left over soup can be frozen.