Thursday, 30 April 2015

Transun's Competition - The World is your Oyster

“It's my experience that most folk who ride trains could care less where they're going. For them it's the journey itself and the people they meet along the way. You see, at every stop this train makes, a little bit of America, a little bit of your country, gets on and says hello.” 

David Baldacci, The Christmas Train
Transun is offering one lucky winner the chance to see the Northern Lights deep inside the Arctic Circle.  To enter the competition Transun have asked bloggers to write a Post about their top three travel bucket list destinations and why they are so.  The prize is a fantastic trip to go and see the Northern Lights (yes, you read that correctly) and  yes - it's one place I would love to see.

My top three travel destinations are all related to luxury train travel.  I have always had a fascination for trains.  I love watching the world go by when travelling by train. The sound of a train can be very calming and soothing as well as romantic. Just imagine travelling in luxury on these three journeys for a number of days when, whatever you are doing - the scenery is changing. I have wonderful memories of travelling on an overnight slow train from Mombasa to Nairobi and also some fast Shinkasen rides in Japan.

One of these days - I would like to take on the following three train rides:

A trip on the Orient Express to Venice:


I often see the Orient Express in Victoria Station getting ready to leave for Venice.  I know that this could be one of the first trips I will probably take as it's  on the door step. I have seen so many movies made about this train ride and read up so much about the journey where you are allocated your personal steward!! What luxury to have someone making your journey magical!! We once stayed in a hotel in India where you had a personal butler and we loved being spoiled by this luxury. Finishing the journey in Venice would be the icing on the cake.

Checkout this YouTube video showing a bit about the journey:


A journey on the Luxury Maharaja Express in India:

I have traveled to India several times and been to see the Taj Mahal.  Having stayed in some good hotels in India - I do know that service would be impeccable when travelling in this luxurious Maharaja Express.   I would love to take a trip from Delhi to Agra to see the Taj Mahal and Jaipur on this magnificant train travelling like a princess!

Checkout this YouTube video and let me know what you think of this luxury.



A train ride through the Rocky mountains from Calgary to Seattle


This journey has been a dream of mine for a number of years.  A train drive through the mountainous terrains with the views of mountains, rivers, water falls, bridges, bears, eagles and all the different vegetation would be like heaven for me.

Checkout this YouTube video showing a bit about the journey:



I am always amazed at the exciting meals that get served on these journeys.  My ultimate bucket wish would be to learn to do some cooking alongside the chefs on these trains.  it would be a dream come true for a foodie like me.

There are still a few hours left before the competition closes so do have a go and share your wishlist too. Details of the competition are here

So what's on your bucket list?


18 comments:

  1. this post reminds me how much I need holiday!


    xx

    Dominika from mycupofbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travel wise on my bucketlist. - Rome, Paris, Florida, Arlington Texas, New York, Las Vegas and New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bucket list and wish you all the best with the competition lovely! I would love to go and see the Northern Lights but I am terrified of flying at the moment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic bucket list - some wonderful places to see. Good luck in the competition! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely choices, I have travelled on the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express from Venice to Paris. You travel on a coach to do the channel crossing then board the Pullman carriage at folkstone to London Victoria. The VSOE is beautiful, the service impeccable and food at fine dining. I have also travelled from Bangkok to Singapore on the Eastern Oriental Train. 3 Days of bless. One of my favourite holidays. Good Luck with the competition. x The Northern Lights look incredible, its on my Bucket List.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh what a great list but wow look at that view it would be on my list seeing that

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely places to visit. I's like to travel on the Orient Express, it would be such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All three train rides look amazing! I especially love the one through the Rocky Mountains. Good luck in the comp, seeing the Northern Lights is definitely on my bucket list, as is diving at the Great Barrier Reef and seeing Mount Fuji... among so many others!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle - We went to Japan a few years ago and say Mt Fuji. Japan is an amazing country.

      Delete
  9. As someone that suffers from travel sickness although I love the sound of the orient express, I fear I would miss it being unwell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad to hear. Do the tablets not help?

      Delete
  10. My son would agree with your choices, he's obsessed with trains!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one fantastic list. I would love to go to Reykjavik, Back to Vegas and to the Lake District x

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh super duper choices! i would LOVE to see the northern lights

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love railtravel through amazing locations - we took the night train between St Petersburg and Moscow and it's made me long to do more train journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks amazing! Mummy would love to see the Northern Lights. I would love to go to Florida x Ickle Pickle

    ReplyDelete
  15. lots of sun shine is a must i would go somewhere hot hot hot

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments