Thursday, 30 April 2015

How do you find "Me Time"?

"Alone time is when I distance myself from the voices of the world so I can hear my own." ~ Oprah
“In solitude the mind gains strength and learns to lean upon itself.” – Laurence Sterne


Recently we got into a discussion with friends about "me time".    Most of my friends have it all - lovely family, kids and a full time job.   All this comes with a price as all this keeps us really busy. That's when we start getting angry and stressed and often take it out on our loved ones.  We all love need any "me time" we can manage to get - even if it's a short time to charge our batteries.

Everyone has different ways of taking time out to relax and unwind. The most important is to find the time for yourself and decide what makes you happy.  For some us it could just be having an hour to read, listen to music or catch up on TV for others it could be going to the gym or just for a walk or coffee with a friend.  Walking by the sea or river or bird watching can be really relaxing.



Here is my list of how to have some "me time" for anyone (men or women) without spending too much money:

1.  Plan the "me time" or you will never get it.  Create some personal time by making it like an appointment in your calender - like you would for a visit to the doctor or dentist.

For me the best time to do this is to wake up early and spend time doing what my mood dictates. Often it's just reading or catching up with emails. Yesterday, I decided to take a walk.  I always walk with a small camera in my pocket so that I can take pictures of anything and everything!!  e.g. l saw this old BT telephone box in someone's front garden.  I loved the idea that it was kept clean and had some lovely hanging baskets growing inside.

And watching these  cute little baby ducks really made my day.


It was cold but so peaceful and quiet and I got the inspiration to share with you my thoughts on how important it is to have some time to yourself.  Believe me once you get into the habit of waking up early and enjoy the peace and quiet time - you will want to keep doing it.


2. Treat yourself  and don't feel guilty about it.  In my case, I found this quite difficult to do as I am always looking for trinkets and gifts to buy for my family as it makes me happy.  However, I have now started to treat myself with little guilt free gifts that help me happy and relaxed with the family e.g. essential oils, fragrances, candles, fresh flowers, soothing music etc. which help to calm  me and the family can also enjoy the benefits.


3. Pamper yourself - e.g get your hair and nails done, massage etc.  I always feel positive and happy whenever I have my hair done.  I also look out for discounted Spa deals at our local spa which tends to have special offers during the weekdays. It's perfect if you can take some time off during the week.

4. Take up a hobby that makes you happy - e.g golf,  knitting, gardening, learn to play the piano etc. the options are countless.   I saw this knitted Paddington Bear in a shop window and remembered how at one time I used to love knitting.  I still have a bag of knitting needles and wool and am tempted to start knitting again.  At the moment, I am going to devote my time to this blog which has been neglected as I have been  busy looking after a family member  ( I am not ready to talk about it as yet.). Tea and Catchup blog is  where I am going to relax and share my thoughts on any subjects so do leave comments with suggestions on what I should talk about.  I could do with a challenge!!



So how do you find some time just for you to unwind and relax?  Do share your ideas?







19 comments:

  1. Coffee shop with a cake and magazines on my iPad. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go off for a bath and read my book when I want some me time. The door gets locked and I ignore everyone for an hour or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some 'me' time is very important to relax ourselves. I love to watch old movies and go out shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My definition of me time is bowl full of ice cream and tv and my recliner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a bath with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to read a magazine or book or maybe sit in the garden if the weather is good

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to start planning in some me time. I love a good pampering session and I think getting up early is a great idea. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I like the idea of scheduling it in the diary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scheduling a day sounds like absolute bliss, taking a book to the park and sitting in the sun (but in the shade) is one of the things I am looking forward to doing x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 'me time' is served on a adhoc basis, the best is usually a quiet bubble bath at midnight. Its always when the family have gone to bed, also whenever I get the chance to paint my nails, a bit of pampering goes a long way.
    I have a dog, so I spent a lot of time walking him, its mostly the two of us, its fairly quiet, I am surrounded by countryside, this is where I collect my thoughts and have some regular 'me time' too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've joined a singing group which has a habit of taking up LOADS of my time. Too much me time maybe?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What some great ideas, I really should try and take more me time I think. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogging is my me time! I love writing, so I relax by blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my book group once a month is my me time

    ReplyDelete
  15. I long for some me time but can't see me getting any until Sebby starts nursery

    ReplyDelete
  16. I generally have a bath - it has a locked door!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My "me time" is cooking , taking pictures for my blog and catching up with my blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't really get 'me' time, I guess if I do, I am blogging. I love it though! Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I had more me time! I do like to buy something for myself sometimes though and that feels nice. And grabbing a cheeky coffee to sit down and chill with for half hour! I'm always tired so a night off at home, relax and early night would be nice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments