Sunday, 8 February 2015

Smart Phones - Apple and iPhone 5



I have decided to write about my iPhone 5 problems and how they got sorted -just in case any of you are facing a similar problem.  I have always bought Apple products as I find them so much easier to use .  My  iPhone 5 had problems with its sleep/wake up button which had stopped working so I decided to look on Google on see if there were any instruction on how to get it working using the screen.  I found instructions on  Apple's support website which gave instructions on how to use AssistiveTouch  which helps you use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if you have trouble touching the screen or pressing the buttons.  This was helpful as I could continue to use my phone.   At the same time I read about iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program.   I wasn't surprised to see this information as a couple of years ago I had my nano iPod replaced with no hasstle under their iPod nano Replacement program 

The Apple web site asks you to enter your phone's serial number and informs you if you are eligible. Luckily my iPhone was eligible so I completed the form and called up the Apple support to check if that was still correct and my phone could be repaired.  I was informed that - Yes I  qualified and could either ask Apple to send me an envelop to return the iPhone for repair or take it my nearest Apple Store.  


I took the iPhone to the Apple store full of hope and was told by the Apple genius assistant that my phone could not be send for repair as it was very slightly bent - in fact hardly noticeable until he pointed it out to me.  I was gutted and asked for details of the Store manager and wrote to him telling him how disappointed I was as at no point did the Apple Support team inform me that my phone may not be replaced under certain circumstances e.g a bent phone!!.  


Thankfully, the manager replied and agreed to swap my phone and I am now a proud owner of a new iPhone 5.  

My advice is not to give up if you feel that you have not been fairly treated. When a big organisation like Apple admits on their website: " Apple has determined that the sleep/wake button mechanism on a small percentage of iPhone 5 models may stop working or work intermittently. iPhone 5 models manufactured through March 2013 may be affected by this issue. Apple will replace the sleep/wake button mechanism, free of charge, on iPhone 5 models that exhibit this issue and have a qualifying serial number"  To me this means that Apple is admitting to a problem and should be able to repair or replace the iPhone.  

I must say that once the manager agreed to replace my phone - the service I got at the Apple store was really excellent as usual.  



Have any of you had problems with their iPhones recently? Has this information been helpful?

4 comments:

  1. Hi there, pleased that you stood your ground and got it all sorted!
    I'm an Android girl myself....but with my contract ending in early summer, I am half-tempted to look at iPhones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you got it sorted! I am awful with technology so I panic when my phone or laptop isn't working! I have to use the assistive touch thing on my phone as the lock button no longer works, I am so glad for this though!!

    meimei xx
    www.meimeisays.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its always good to know when you receive good service this is not always the case. I had a problem with my iphone after sometime it would only work with headphones or speaker mode. I took it to the apple store and they told me water had got into the hole where you plug the earphones.This I found hard to believe as phone had not been near water. They refused to anything about it and I was dissapointed.I later reset the phone in frustration and the problem solved it self!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. iPnones... lol..
    I seem to be very unlucky with these .. My new iPhone 5 got wet in Greece when we went for our vacation.. Now in India I bought iPhone 6 and it was not receiving calls .. only could make calls. So I returned it. Now I will give it a try one more time .. Hope this time I am lucky !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments