Saturday, 14 February 2015

Happy Valentine's Day

Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own. (A quote by H Jackson Brown Jr)

A lot of my friends on social media have been saying that they don't celebrate Valentine's day as it's too expensive. My reply to them has always been that it does not cost money to tell or show someone you love them.  You don't have to buy expensive presents either.  Little treats like home cooked breakfast, a walk in the park and stopping for that special cup of coffee to just relax and watch the world go by are enough for me to feel happy.

So for me everyday I spent with my husband and children is Valentine's Day.  We start our weekend with a nice brunch of home made instant microwave dhokla



Followed by a nice walk by the riverside.


We usually stop  over for coffee or a favourite treat at a local cafe.



And finishing the day with bateta vada home pizza and nachos.  Simple food eaten with a loving family always tastes exotic.




Doesn't take much to make me feel happy.  The occasion Bollywood movie or  bunch of flowers get appreciated too!  The important thing is to remember that you love each other and will always be around to support each other - in sickness and health.




Make everyday a Happy Valentine's Day 

Recipes for most of the dishes shown here are in my sister blog - http://www.givemesomespice.com

20 comments:

  1. Ah that all looks so good. There are plenty of reasons for not celebrating Valentine's Day as in love is something that should be shown all year around, but I've not heard of it being too expensive before. I'm with you, spending a bit of quality time together and some good home cooked food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really do Valentines day, I would wont to spend the money on paying off my credit cards instead x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't need a special day to show my family I love them and I agree that it's the little things that count. Love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We take any opportunity to spend time together as a family and express our love and I agree it doesn't have to cost the earth. We give handmade gifts and also cards and enjoy a fab family meal together

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Every day is special but it's nice to make an extra special effort! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't have to be expensive. We buy small gifts and spend this day together (in the kitchen... but we love it)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore that quote, so very true. Happy Valentine's Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this year was my first year being single and I actually enjoyed it, I personally think when in a relationship love should be shown all year round and not just on one day x

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't celebrate it because we don't need one day to show our love - we do it all year round

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like the perfect Valentine's Day to me - nothing overly commercial, nothing too out of the ordinary - just something that suits both of your personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a lovely Valentine's day! We had a takeaway and watched a film :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I have always celebrated Valentine's Day. Last year our daughter insisted on being our waitress for the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not too drawn on the idea of Valentines Day personally, I can say I love you whenever I want too without the need to do so on one day x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely way to celebrate.
    We have a nice meal at home just the two of us

    ReplyDelete
  15. it sounds as though you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you had a fabulous day - we spent ours shopping and chilling out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the quote. Love the food. Love the love! Sounds like a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah this looks like a perfect day, and the food looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks like the perfect night! the food looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree that 'small' gestures can be just as meaningful as bigger ones, sometimes more. And of course, we shouldn't just focus on showing our love and appreciation for others only on Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments