I had no plans to make onion bhajias but couldn't resist making them when some friends offered us these freshly grown spring onions yesterday. This is a quick and easy recipe which makes dangerously tasty onion bhajias.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
Time 30 minutes.
1 bunch of fresh spring Onions
1 cup of chick pea flour
½ cup of fine bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon mixture of ginger, garlic and green chillies (you can use more if you like hot and spicy food)
1 teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
2 pinches of soda bi carbonate
Oil for deep frying
1. Cut and prepare the spring onions. Wash and soak them in cold water for 5-10 minutes.
2. Chop the onions as finely as you can.
3. Add the chick pea flour, bread crumbs, salt, turmeric, the ginger, garlic and chilly mixture together with the ajwain and whole coriander.
4. Add a little over ½ a cup of warm water to the mixture. You may need to add a bit more if the mixture feels a bit dry. Mix well.
5. Heat the oil in a wok or something similar.
6. NOW add the soda bicarbonate to 2 teaspoons of warm water and add to the bhajia mixture. Mix well as this will help make the bhajias soft.
7. Add one tablespoon of hot oil from the wok to the mixture and stir again.
8. Now the mixture is ready to fry. Using a teaspoon, transfer a small amount of mixture at a time into the oil.
9. The bhajias will fluff up and rise to the top. Turn them over and cook until golden to dark brown.
10. Remove the bhajias onto a kitchen paper.
11. Serve them with your favourite chutney.